I have set myself two cooking challenges this week. The first is to contribute an original recipe to a weekly “cookbook challenge”. The second challenge was to design a dish which would highlight the Riberry as an exciting “new” ingredient in Australian Cuisine. I have decided to combine the two tasks and the result is the delicious Baked Camembert & Riberry Relish Dish.
I was given a bag of frozen Riberry’s about two weeks ago and I have been trying to come up with a dish that would do the berry justice. Riberries have a lovely distinct Eucalypt taste and they are quite tart. They have what I call “the taste of Australia,” an indefinable unique taste which you only find in the “bush tucker” foods.
I think the tartness of the Riberry compliments the creamy Camembert perfectly but if you like you could increase the sugar in the Riberry filling.
Baked Camembert with Riberry
- 1 Camembert Round
- 4 Sheets Filo Pastry
- 50gm Butter (melted)
- 1 Long Bread Roll
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup Riberry
- 50gm Butter
- 2 Lg Apples (peeled & sliced finely)
- 2 sprigs Thyme (remove after cooking)
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- In a saucepan add Riberry Relish ingredients and stir over heat. Simmer with the lid on stirring occasionally until the apple is soft. Remove from the heat.
- Slice bread roll thinly and place on a baking tray.
- Split the camembert in half through the middle to give two camembert circles.
- Spread ¼ of a cup of Riberry filling on the bottom camembert round, place the top of camembert back in place.
- Spread another ¼ cup of Riberry filling over the top round of Camembert. Reserve the remainder of the Riberry filling for serving.
- Brush 1 sheet of filo pastry with butter and neatly wrap the layered camembert in the pastry. Repeat this process for all 4 sheets of filo, turning the parcel of cheese over each time.
- Brush finished pastry with remaining butter.
- Place on the baking tray with bread rounds and cook for 12 mins in the oven.
- Serve immediately.
If you love camembert cheese, you’ll just have to try this delicious retro Deep Fried Camembert!
Variation: For a more elegant entree the camembert can be cut into wedges and rolled in individually in filo pastry with ½ teaspoon of Riberry Relish. Serve with a garnish of baby rocket and decorate the serving plate with a swirl of Riberry sauce.