Have you heard of Muddy Buddies before? I hadn’t until about one week ago. I stumbled across a bowl bearing a sweet snack on the internet. It was a Pumpkin Pie flavoured version, but this one is a delicious bowl of Cheesecake Flavoured Muddy Buddies.
I immediately consulted Wikipedia! What food exploration had I been missing? Not only was there a treat called the “Muddy Buddy,” but this treat could also be prepared in alternative flavours.
After a little bit of research, I found the “Muddy Buddies” were usually made from an American cereal called Chex. I am pretty sure we don’t have Chex in Australia. Judging from the pictures though, I decided I could substitute our very own Kelloggs Crispix and give the recipe a whirl.
I am the queen of substitutions, I also decided I would prefer white chocolate over the dark chocolate and I added a little lemon essence to give a lemon cheesecake flavour.
Cheesecake Muddy Buddies
- 4 Cups Crispix Cereal
- 1/4 cup butter
- 180 gm white chocolate
- 4-5 drops lemon essence
- 1 cup icing sugar
- M & M to decorate
- Melt the butter and white chocolate in the microwave, stir the chocolate until smooth.
- Add the lemon essence to the chocolate and stir through.
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate to the cereal and stir gently until well covered.
- Put the icing sugar into a large plastic bag and gradually add the cereal to the bag.
- Coat all the cereal in the icing sugar. Add more icing sugar if needed.
- Put the Muddy Buddies in a bowl and decorate with M & M's
It’s a great snack to make with the kids as it’s easy and safe to prepare. Believe me the kids liked the results too!
In my research, I also found that Muddy Buddies also go by the name of puppy chow. It isn’t immediately obviously why they have this name until you’ve seen Muddy Buddies made with dark chocolate.
Make sure you give this recipe a try in the next school holidays. Be warned though, muddy buddies are highly addictive! If you don’t have time to cook, why not purchase some already made Muddy Buddies?
Have you heard of Muddy Buddies before? What is your favourite flavour?