The silly season has just began and already I am feeling the need for a detox! December means Christmas parties and pre-Christmas get-togethers. These are all great reasons to celebrate with a drink or two. Just 15 days into December and I’m feeling a little boozy and unhealthy. Rather than commit to a detox which excludes alcohol, I decided to to nurture my liver by feeding it well with this Detox Beetroot Salad.
In the words of Hippocrates, “Let Food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food”
What I am proposing is a compromise with my liver. I continue to enjoy the party season with wine and cocktails, but I pamper my liver daily with some liver cleansing super foods.
I realise a true detox requires you to eliminate the bad things like alcohol. THEN cleanse the liver with the good, but at this time of year it’s a huge ask. What I am proposing is a harm minimisation strategy. I realised I needed a detox recipe that would prime my liver to better handle the festive season and all the excesses.
What better way to do this than to take a look at what foods naturally cleanse the liver and load up on those. I did a little research and discovered some liver cleansing super foods that can make a real difference to the health of your liver. Looking at the list it became obvious that combining some of these super food would result in a delicious salad.
- Beetroot and Carrots -Rich in Glutathione which helps detoxify the liver. It also helps stimulate the liver to produce toxin cleansing enzymes and improve liver function.
- Spinach – another great source of Glutathione.
- Lemon and Limes – High levels of vitamin C stimulates the liver to synthesise toxic materials into substances that can be absorbed by water and excreted.
- Apples – Pectin is vital to help cleanse and release toxins from the digestive tract.
- Walnuts – Another source of Glutathione, plus a good source if omega-3 fatty acids and amino acid arginine. These acids help support normal liver cleansing and are particularly helpful in detoxifying the body of ammonia.
Now that I have introduced you to these top 5 liver cleansing super foods it’s time to share a delicious salad that uses all these items. As an extra bonus it even looks like a festive salad. I’m sure it would be right at home on the Christmas lunch table.
Behold, I give you the “Detox Beetroot Salad!” A salad that will hide its health giving properties in the guise of a delicious fresh salad.
- 3 raw medium beetroot peeled
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1 lg Granny smith apple
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- juice 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs walnut oil
- 1/4 cup coriander chopped
- Goats Cheese or Feta
/4 the apple, beetroots and carrot and place in a food processor.
Pulse in bursts until the desired constancy is achieved.
Stir the coriander and spinach through the salad.
Dress with the lemon and oil.
Place the optional toppings on the salad to serve.
The Detox Beetroot salad will be accompanying me to all my “bring a plate” functions through out the silly season.
I have been enjoying the Detox Beetroot Salad every day! It has been my “go to” lunch item. I have enjoyed it on a baguette with sliced ham and as a salad, topped with crumbled goats cheese and the number 5 super food, walnuts.
There are more super foods that we can use to help our liver handle all the festive cheer so I will share a few more Liver loving recipes in up coming stories.
It’s like having your cake and eating it too!