Rum Balls are a Christmas tradition in our house.
Every year we have rum balls right through out the month of December. This year I have started a little earlier so you too can have them ready for gift giving, or devouring as you put up the Christmas decorations.
These rum balls are the easiest I have ever made, and I will be sticking with this recipe as it makes the most moist and delicious treats.? The recipe uses fruit cake crumb and melted chocolate which is why its so moist.
They can be dipped in melted chocolate for an exceptionally decadent treat or simply rolled in chocolate sprinkles.
If you want to make more “child friendly” rum balls just omit the rum and call them Christmas truffles.? I didn’t want the children to get confused so I dipped the adult rum balls in dark chocolate, and had the children roll their truffles in chocolate sprinkles.
- 1 Dark Christmas Cake (Homebrand)
- 2 x 200gm dark chocolate (good quality)
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 pkt chocolate sprinkles (or extra dark chocolate for coating)
- Line a tray with baking paper or glad wrap.
- Crumble cake by had in a large bowl.
- Melt both blocks of chocolate and stir through the cake crumbs.
- Add the rum and combine. The mixture should be very moist and sticky.
- Place sprinkles in a bowl.
- Form balls with your hands and roll in sprinkles.
- Place on the tray. Once finished refrigerate until needed.
- These are best served at room temperature.
Have these treats in the fridge ready to serve at Christmas or to give as gifts to neighbours and teachers.? Simply package them beautiful in a tin or box lined with baking paper add a ribbon and you are all finished.
We will be making these treats again for the children’s teachers…. perhaps with an extra dash or two of rum!