What a strange name, “Compost Christmas Cookies.” The original compost cookie was the brainchild of Momofuku Cafe. They’re so named because they have a random mix of sweet and savoury ingredients all thrown together. I’ve made compost cookies before but today I wanted to do a Compost Christmas Cookie.
Red and green are the classic Christmas colours so I chose a packet of Christmas M&M’s to give some festive colour to the cookies. I also couldn’t get the thought of green peppermint crisp bars out of my mind, so I decided to throw some of those in too for good measure. For the savoury component, I chose salted nuts, mostly to add some extra crunch factor.
Compost Christmas Cookies
- 250 gm butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 200 gm condensed milk
- 2 1/2 cups SR Flour
- 1 cup Red & Green "M&M's"
- 5 peppermint crisp bars broken up
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Prepare 4 cookie slides with baking paper
- Cream the butter and sugar until it's white and fluffy.
- Add the condensed milk and mix until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold through the flour, M&M's, peanuts and peppermint crisp bars.
- Allow this mixture to stand for ten minutes and it will become less sticky.
- Use a dessert spoon or an ice cream scoop to drop round balls of the cookie mixture onto the cookie slides.
- Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly on the tray before removing them, they will become crispy once they cool.