Deliciously Ella Every Day is the title of healthy eating diva, Ella Woodwards latest cookbook and the author this delicious Black Bean Burger Recipe. Ella was diagnosed with Postural Tachycardia Syndrome in 2011. She was bedridden 95% of the time and was not responding to medication. The 22-year-old overcame the illness by adopting a mostly vegan diet and changing her lifestyle completely.
Ella also gave up gluten, dairy, refined sugars, processed foods, and additives. Four years on, she has her life back. Ella has shared the journey in her successful blog Deliciously Ella.
Last year she released a best selling cookbook
Her latest cookbook, Deliciously Ella Every Day is a follow up which has more than 100 plant-based recipes for everyday eating.
All the recipes are simple and consist of easy to find ingredients. In the introduction, Ella comments that it was important to her that all the recipes are not only healthy but do-able.
Ella says she has written the latest book to help people eat well when they’re pushed for time. I know when I’m pushed for time my thoughts of a healthy meal usually go out the window. Instead, I reach for the quickest dish I can prepare (or a takeaway).
Thankfully the recipes in Deliciously Ella Everyday really are quick! Perhaps this is due to Ella’s self-confessed propensity toward being a lazy cook. Whatever the reason any cookbook that helps me get dinner on the table fast is a winner.
I wanted to choose a recipe to share with readers that would give you a feel for the healthy deliciousness of the cookbook. There were so many amazing recipes I wanted to make that I struggled to settle on just one dish. In the end, I had to get dinner on the table, so it was a choice between the Sweet Potato Burger and the Black Bean Burger. I found all the ingredients for the Black Bean Burger in my pantry so it was settled.
The black bean burger patty was so simple to make. All the burger ingredients are mashed together with a fork and then formed by hand into burger patties. I used an egg ring to make them all the same size.
Once formed I placed the patties in the fridge until I was ready to cook them. Refrigerating the patty ahead of cooking makes them firmer and easier to cook.
Deliciously Ella Every Day Black Bean BurgerPrint Recipe
- 2 x 400gm canned Black Beans drained & rinsed
- 100 Gram gm flour chick pea flour
- 3 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbs Apple Puree
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 2 tsp Tamari GF Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper
- Cover a small cookie slide with baking paper.
- Put the bean into a large mixing bowl.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash the beans.
- Continue to mash until most of the beans are crushed but the mixture isn't smooth. (You still want some whole beans.)
- Add the tomato paste, apple puree, chilli powder, tamari apple cider vinegar and lime to the beans. Stir until combined.
- Stir the gram flour through the mixture.
- Leave the mixture for 5 minutes in the fridge to firm up a little.
- Form 8 burger patty from the mixture. (I used an egg ring to get the size uniformed.)
- Place the burger patties on the prepared tray and place in the fridge until needed.
- The patties can also be frozen at this stage for later use if required.
- After an hour in the fridge you can choose to spray olive oil (or brush coconut oil) on the burger patties and bake in an oven at 180 degree celsius or shallow fry the patties in a pan with oil.
I have looked at so many vegan cookbooks in the past with obscure ingredient lists that go on forever. Not Deliciously Ella Everyday. This cookbook delivers what it promises, simple, delicious, healthy recipes for every day cooking and eating.
[easyazon_link keywords=”Deliciously Ella ” locale=”US” tag=”gourmetgetaways1-20″]Get Deliciously Ella here on Amazon[/easyazon_link]