Today I was given the absolute motherload of Kale.
After reading so much about the health benefits of this plant I knew I needed to try it. I had been warned that it can be extremely bitter, but these curly leaves were not destined to form part of any healthy vego or vegan meal.
These babies were going down the junk food path. I have been reading all the hype about Kale chips for almost two years now and today would be my day to gorge myself on the deliciously crisp, oily, salty yet nutritious greens.
I think you will agree that I have done a good job of turning a virtuous health giving plant into a dieters nightmare, but believe me it was a luscious journey I had to take.
Here is my step by step method of making Kale chips, it is a very simple easy snack to make.
Kale Chips w Garlic & Lemon Aioli
1 Bunch Kale
1 ½ Tbs olive oil for each tray
1 tsp salt
Garlic & Lemon Aioli:
3 cloves garlic
1 cup macadamia oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1 egg yolk
Salt & pepper to taste
Smokey Paprika Salt to serve
2 t/s salt
1 t/s smokey paprika
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees
- Prepare the kale by removing the stem
- Lay kale out on baking tray being careful not to overlap.
- Bake for a total of 20 minutes. Allow them to cook for 15mins then turn for the last 5 mins. Check that the leaves are crisp. If not return them to the oven for longer.
- Add ¼ of the oil, the egg yolk, lemon and garlic to bowl.
- Use a stick blender or food processor to process these ingredients.
- Once smooth slowly add the remaining oil in a stream to the mixture. As it emulsifies it will thicken into a mayonnaise.
Serve the Aioli and the smokey paprika salt alongside the kale chips for a delicious, but not so nutritious accompaniment.
If you want to completely negate all the health giving properties of this magical plant serve with a nicely chilled glass of champagne and watch the sunset on another working week.