Sydneysiders it’s time to wake up and smell the coffee!
SOMETHING’S BREWING IN THE ROCKS – so rise and grind!
July awakens the senses with the return of The Rocks Aroma Festival to the intimate laneways of Sydney’s historic Rocks district. Throughout the month, the festival will offer coffee enthusiasts a blend of activities and workshops from Monday 6 July leading up to the Aroma Festival Day on Sunday 26 July, 2015.
Gourmet Getaways has a double pass to giveaway to one lucky reader, but you need to read on to hear all about this much loved festival. The Rocks Aroma Festival is now in its 18th year attracts coffee officiandos from industry as well as every day coffee-lovers to the biggest coffee celebration in Australia.
Each year the boutique-style festival attracts 90,000 locals and visitors who flock to the scent of Sydney’s best roasts and brews.
For the entire month of July The Rocks will ignite the senses with all things coffee. Savour a tasty cup and take part in a variety of workshops curated by the Australian Speciality Coffee Association. Become a café-fiend as you learn insider’s tips on coffee cupping, latte art and coffee appreciation. The Rocks Aroma workshops run Thursdays through Sunday from 09 July.
For those interested in the science of coffee there will be specialist displays from 20 July and coffee cup and tea leaf readings on Fridays, starting 10 July and on Aroma Festival Day.
The much anticipated Aroma Cup returns for a third year to showcase the rich blends, barista techniques and carefully curated coffee froth signatures from cafés in The Rocks. Cafés will compete throughout the month to win the people’s choice award as well as industry award for the best coffee experience of the festival.
Wake up, head down to The Rocks and get ready for a month filled with coffee fun!
Other workshops that will be taking place throughout The Rocks Aroma Festival:
- Cupping 101 with ASCA: an introduction to the professional process of cupping and the protocols to reveal key flavours and faults by tasting coffees from different regions and learning the language of the industry.
- Brew Campfor the Home Enthusiast by Compagnon Coffee Co.: learn how to brew great coffee at home with a focus on ‘pour over coffee’ brewing while looking at brew theory and the right coffee roast equipment to pick up.
- Chocolate—Bean to Bar with Cicada and Chocolarts: an explanation of where chocolate comes from and how it is made from expert chocolatiers from Chocolarts and Cicada Chocolate.
- Comparative Cupping with ASCA: a guide to the art of cupping and comparison of coffee from various countries and regions around the world, as well as an explanation of its journey from bean to cup.
- Coffee Appreciation with ASCA: a history of coffee and the method of its production.
- A Guide to Home Brewing: the Fine Food Store team will show different brewing methods, explaining the pros and cons of each one. This hands on course will cover pour-over coffee, aeropress, and plunger home brewing while teaching factors such as grind, time and brew ratio to get the best result in every cup.
- Cupping with ASCA and the Roasters Guild: an introduction to the great flavours of coffee and a discovery of the art of “slow coffee” by specialty roasters dedicated to the craft of roasting quality coffee.
- The Birthplace of Coffee by Paramount Coffee Project and Technoserve:International guests Moata and Ansha will talk about the birthplace of coffee, Ethiopa, exploring the rich history and unique coffee culture of their country, as well as share some high quality premium Ethiopian coffee.
For more information about this great festival visit the the rocks website.
The Rocks Aroma Festival
Sunday July 26, 10am – 5pm
With workshops and events throughout July
Gourmet Getaways is giving one lucky reader the chance to wine a DOUBLE PASS to – LATTE ART WITH ASCA
The event is being held on the 12 July 2015 from 3pm – 4pm at 6-8 Atherden Street at the Rocks.
To enter please follow the Rafflecopters instructions above. Good luck readers!