“A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand” – Anonymous. The mixture of sweet and savoury makes these Momofuku Compost Cookies the best.
I was challenged to share a favourite cookie recipe, a recipe that sees the cookie jar emptied in record time.
This challenge couldn’t have come at a better time for me, I have been experimenting with the famous Momofuku Compost Cookie recipe. The famous Milkbar has provided blueprint for a cookie which allows the cook to throw into the cookie dough a mix of favourite sweet and savoury treats.
I have tried two different variations but this combination was the favourite with the family.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup M&M Mix ups
- 1 cup plain potato crisps
- 1/2 cup mini pretzels
- In a mixer cream butter, sugars and golden syrup on medium high for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and pale yellow in color.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Increase the mixing speed to high and start a timer for 10 minutes. During this time the sugar granules will fully dissolve, the mixture will become an almost pale white color and your creamed mixture will double in size.
- On a lower speed, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix only until the dough comes together and the dry ingredients have incorporated.
- Add the sweet mix ins and combine for 30 secs in the mixer.
- Stir through the pretzels and chips by hand until incorporated.
- Using a 6oz ice cream scoop, portion cookie dough onto a parchment lined Place the cookie dough in the fridge for one hour.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to form balls on the cookie slide. Take care to leave space for the cookies to spread.
- Place the cookie trays in the fridge for another hour.
- Heat oven to 160 degrees fan forced.
- Bake the cookies for between 10- 15 minutes
- Cool the cookies completely on the cookie tray before transferring to a plate or an airtight container or tin for storage.
The compost cookies can be made with 1 1/2 cups of any combination of sweet treat and 1 1/2 cups of savoury items. Here is a list of some possibilities.
Mini chocolate chips, peanut M&Ms, chocolate raisins, Rolo chocolates, broken up violent crumble bars, rice bubbles, cornflakes or M&M Mix ups.
Potato chips, Pretzels, Goldfish crackers, Ritz crackers, or Corn chips.
What snack foods would go into your compost cookie?