It’s party time!!
Do you love a good party?
The “bringing in” of a new year is the perfect excuse to kick up your heels and let your hair down. I what better way to celebrate than with some pretty cocktails. I have some simple but tasty New Years Cocktails to share. Whether you are serving food or booze, simplicity is the name of the game.
The more preparation you can do before guests arrive the better. I like to have garnishes prepared ahead of time, and the drinks table set out with ingredients, shakers and glasses. This allows guests to be there own bartender.
New Years Cocktail List
The first New Years Cocktail is a very festive “Pomegranate Martini”. In pretty pink tones and garnished with either pomegranate, melon or strawberries.
As the famous line from the Bond 007 movie goes “it’s shaken… not stirred.” This is sure to get the party started, its deceptively sweet and easy to drink but packs a bit of a punch.
- 30ml Vodka
- 30ml Pineapple juice
- 30ml Pomegranate juice
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
- Add a scoop of ice and shake.
- Strain into a martini glass and garnish.
The next New Years Cocktail is especially for the kiddies. My children feel a little left out when the cocktails are being made so this is a mocktail for the little ones, or those that are driving. My children understand that this drink is super sweet, and definitely on the “ONE ONLY” rule. I like to add umbrellas and straws and serve it in a plastic cocktail or champagne glass for something special.
- 15ml grenadine
- 1/3 cup ice
- 150 ml ginger ale
- Add ice and grenadine to a tall cocktail glass.
- Pour the ginger ale over the ice.
- Serve garnished with an umbrella and straw.
The Shirley Temple is good made up in a large pitcher and placed on the drinks table for “self service”. Oh, and for an adults only version just add a shot of vodka to a high ball glass and fill with the Shirley Temple.
Now for a refreshing cocktail that is more like a salad than a drink. Pimms was established in 1823 in England and the Pimms No 1 is based on gin and features fruit and spices to give it a distinctive flavour.
- 30 ml Pimms
- 125 ml Lemonade
- 2 slices cucumber
- 2 x 1/4 slices orange
- 2 x 1/4 slices lemon
- 12 mint leaves
- Muddle half the garnishes in a long glass.
- Add ice, pimms and lemonade.
- Top with more ice, garnishes and straw.
Finally we come to my drink of choice for the evening, the refreshing Icy Lime Mojito! So simple to make, cooling and delicious, and because it isn’t overly sweet it is a drink you can party well into the New Year with.
- 1/2 lime
- 12 mint leaves
- 45mls white rum
- 125ml Soda Water
- 1 cup ice
- 2 Tbs caster sugar
- Cut the lime into 4 wedges.
- Place mint and 2 lime wedges into a glass.
- Use a muddler to crush the mint and lime to release the mint oils and lime juice. Add 2 more lime wedges and sugar, muddle again.
- Add the ice, rum and soda water to the glass.
- Garnish with mint & lime.
So there we have it! A selection of simple drinks to add to your repertoire.
Enjoy your New Year Eve and I will see you in 2014 with a few Resolutions.