The mercury is rising and the only cool spot at the moment is in the water, a sure sign that Australia Day is on the way! These Aussie Dogs are a fuss free lunch for your Australia Day feast.
Australia Day means sunburn, thongs, beach, minor heat stroke, barbecuing every type of meat known to man, and of course a crisp white wine while the boys talk cricket with an icy cold beer. On this day of celebration everyone’s best friend is their local butcher, and if the boys were in charge there wouldn’t be a salad item in sight.
This year I have decided to give the BBQ a miss and prepare some platters of finger food for our gathering. Keeping with the tradition of “meat on meat”, I have made some “Aussie Dogs” which feature the very Australian cocktail frankfurt with a thick rasher of bacon and some Parmesan cheese. You can choose any of your favourite hotdog toppings, as long as it’s served in an Australia Day paper napkin.
Aussie Dogs for Australia Day
- 12 mini hotdog rolls
- 12 cocktail frankfurters
- 6 rashers of thick cut bacon
- 1/4 cup smoky BBQ Marinade
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- Marinade the bacon in the smoky BBQ sauce for 1-3 hours. Store in the refrigerator.
- Boil the cocktail frankfurters for 5 minutes.
- Split the hotdog rolls in the middle and add the cheese and a squirt of tomato sauce to the roll.
- Fry the marinaded bacon until cooked.
- Place a rasher of bacon into the roll and top with a cocktail frankfurter and another squeeze of tomato sauce if desired.
These mini hotdogs make a great finger food to bring to a party or picnic. They are big enough for a child to eat as a meal but small enough that an adult can continue to graze on other Australia Day food.
What are your plans this Australia Day!