After my Balinese Cooking class at the Nirwana Pan Pacific in Bali I simply had to share these delicious Coconut Pancakes with readers. The coconut pancake recipe also includes pandan juice which gives it a distinct green colour and very subtle Indonesian flavour.
The pancakes are made in the very thin crepe style, and then stuffed with a sweet caramel flavoured coconut mixture. The coconut filling is also cooked with a little piece of pandan leaf which continues the flavour profile through crepe.
The effect is a sweet, sticky caramel flavoured crepe with a uniquely Asian flavour.
Balinese Coconut Pancakes
- 250 ml fresh milk
- 35 gm white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 gm salt
- 2 Tbs Pandan Juice
- 75 gm flour
- 25 gm melted butter
- 150 gm fresh grated coconut
- 100 gm coconut sugar
- 75 ml water
- 1 gm salt
- piece small of pandan leaf
- [cap id="attachment_12649" align="aligncenter" width="500"]Coconut Pancake Recipe Ingredients[/cap]
- Combine all the ingredients for the crepe in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk ingredients well.
- Strain any residual lumps if necessary.
- Heat a non stick pan and brush with extra butter.
- Ladle crepe mixture into the pan until the bottom is thinly covered.
- Flip when ready.
- Once cooked, set aside and repeat until the mixture is finished.
- Place the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the saucepan and cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- [cap id="attachment_12649" align="aligncenter" width="500"]Coconut Filling for Coconut Pancakes Recipe[/cap]
- Remove the mixture from the heat and discard cooked pandan leaf.
- Place equal portions of filling in each crepe.
- Roll the crepe into a parcel and garnish with strawberries and fresh pandan leaves.
I hope you enjoy this recipe too. I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to get all the ingredients when I get home as I can’t wait to try making this in my own kitchen.
Do you like attending cooking classes when you are overseas? Do you ever recreate the dishes from your travels at home?