Being challenged to make a Chocolate Ice Cream dessert, that wasn’t chocolate ice cream, got me thinking. After all photographing Ice Cream isn’t the easiest thing in the world. Why not an Ice Cream Tart!
I struggled with this challenge a little for a while because I loathe photographing ice-cream. It is impossible! Just when you get the lighting right and the styling ok, you find you have a bowl of liquid where there once were beautiful scoops of the frozen treat.
In my mind I started to formulate a recipe, and the Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Tart was born!
- 300gm Oreo Cookies
- 100gm melted butter
- 1 litre Cookies & Cream Ice-cream
- 150gm chocolate
- 3/4 cup pouring cream
- 1 cup cream
- 1 t/s vanilla paste
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- Mini oreos
- Combine Oreos and butter in a food processor and pulse until they resemble fine bread crumbs.
- Press the crumb into flexible silicone cupcake moulds and then refrigerate.
- Process the ice-cream until just smooth.
- Spoon into moulds leaving 3mm from the top for the ganache.
- Place dessert in the freezer to set.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan and remove from the heat.
- Stir through the chocolate until melted and the ganache is smooth.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature.
- Pour ganache over the ice-cream tart and refrigerate.
- Whip the cream with icing sugar and vanilla.
- When serving pipe cream on the tart and add oreos, sprinkle with chocolate if desired.