They say “Good things take time”. This recipe for an all day, slow cooked beef stroganoff is a good example. It’s a dish that is happy to take all the time it needs in the Slow Cooker.
It will develop rich meaty flavours. The time at such a low heat also allows the meat and connective tissue to get that fabulous “melt in the mouth texture”.
You can rush the dish along, a little by cooking it on high. It will then take a mere 5 hours in the slow cooker. Personally, I like to give the meat all day so that when I return home, the house is filled with the most wonderful rich aromas.
My slow cooked beef stroganoff has been adapted from one of the first proper recipes I ever learned to cook in home economics class.
So I have been cooking this recipe for about 30 years! It’s definitely a favourite of mine and the family seem to like it too.
Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff & Mushroom Picking
The kids aren’t that fussed about the mushrooms, but any dish that’s served with pappardelle pasta and garlic bread is a win for them. If I let them pick out the mushrooms everyone’s happy.
Especially me, because cooking this dinner, and the clean up is a cinch. I can start the slow cooker as I walk out of the house at 8.00am and when I return at 6.00pm a delicious dinner is waiting.
Can you tell I’m in love with my slow cooker? Each winter it becomes my most prized possession.
All Day – Slow Cooked Beef StroganoffPrint Recipe
- 600 gm Blade Steak cut into strips 1.5cm thick approx
- 200 gm finely diced onion
- 200 gm button mushrooms sliced
- 200 gm large flat field mushrooms sliced
- 6 cloves garlic grated
- 400 ml beef stock
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 5 sprigs thyme or 1 sprig rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 125 gm sour cream
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Add the beef, onion, garlic, mushroom, beef stock, tomato paste, mustard, thyme and salt to a large capacity slow cooker.
- Combine the ingredients and cook on low for between 8- 10 hours depending on the time you have available.
- Once the stroganoff is cooked combine the wine and cornflour in a cup. Mix until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add the cornflour paste to the stroganoff and stir until the dish thickens.
- Stir through the sour cream and served topped with parsley.
As I said, I like to serve my Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff with thick pappardelle pasta and garnished with fresh chopped parsley. Everyone loves dipping garlic bread in the sauce.
I feel it qualifies as a comfort food as it has two delicious sources of carbohydrates and a nice serving of sour cream.
If you were trying to trim some calories you could serve the dish without the sour cream and just allow the cornflour and wine to make the sauce. My family would not be happy with the option as the cream makes the sauce extra rich.
All my recipes for the slow cooker series have been tested using a 6 litre family slow cooker.Try some more of our other Slow Cooker Recipes
- Chia Spice Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
- Texas BBQ Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooked Massaman Curry
- Slow Cooked Oxtail Kare-Kare
- The Hunger Games Slow Cooked Lamb and Plum Stew
- Slow Cooked Beef Bourguignon
So I hope you enjoy the Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff recipe. For a “slow cooked meal” I find it’s a FAST way to get a winter warming dish on the table.