Deep Fried Mars Bar goodness has descended upon the Gourmet Getaways household. It was presented in all it’s liquid chocolate glory and crispy, heart stopping battered deliciousness. The verdict was unanimous, as I knew it would be, an absolute winner.
Lets rewind 20 or so years ago, I was living in Bondi and the Fish & Chip shop served this rather unusual dessert. The thought turned my stomach, battered chocolate, ah no thanks. I was also terrified I would like the fried chocolate bar and I would be waving goodbye to my figure forever!
Ten years later whilst in Bondi husband insisted we buy a deep fried Mars Bar. It had been a tradition of his every time he surfed at Bondi as a teenager. One bite later I knew what all the fuss was about. This unlikely combination was sheer dessert brilliance.
About 3 years ago we bought a deep fryer. I am not a fan of fried foods but I imagined preparing recipes like croquettes, and garnishes such as sweet potato swirls etc. The first thing hubby said, “Awesome you can make deep fried Mars Bars.”
Hmm, well that was about three years ago and I have never made croquettes, garnishes or Deep fried Mars Bars. Periodically hubby suggests the Mars Bars but somehow this dessert has never got across the line.
Today the family collectively said goodbye to good cardiovascular health and embraced the fryer. As a consequence we’ve crossed over to the dark side. Hubby suggested the only way to improve the deep fried Mars Bar was to wrap it in bacon before coating it with the batter!
Deep Fried Mars Bar - Oh Yeah!
- 6 Mars Bars
- 3/4 cup SR Flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Egg
- Oil for deep frying
- Freeze the Mars Bars overnight. (This allows the batter to attach better to the Mars Bar and the insides don't explode out the batter before the batter is set.)
- Mix all the ingredients for the batter in a rectangular lunch box.
- Heat the fryer to 180 degrees.
- Place three Mars Bars in the batter. Roll them in the batter until they are covered.
- Once the oil is at temperature remove the Mars Bars from the batter one at a time. Using tongs or a fork carefully hold the Mars Bar in the oil for about 10 seconds to set the batter.
- Drop the Mars Bar in the oil. It should rise up and not stick to the basket.
- Add the other 2 Mars Bars one by one in the same manner.
- Cook until the batter is golden and crispy.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- Repeat the process for the remaining three Mars Bars.
There we have it! The Deep Fried Mars Bar recipe I thought I would never make. I dare you to try it… and no woosing out with using the mini fun size Mars Bars. Guaranteed to shortened your life, but you will love every bite.
Can you think of any other irresistible recipes that combined all the bad food groups in one calorie dense dish?