I think I may have mentioned previously that I’m a lazy cook. I like maximum flavour and versatility in a dish, with the minimum effort. That’s where this Smokey Pulled Mexican Chicken dish comes in very handy. It takes no effort at all to make. It can be cooked in the slow cooker, or in the Thermomix, and there’s no difference at all in the taste or texture.
When we returned from Mexico I knew I hadn’t yet had my fill of Mexican food. I was actually still seriously craving all those delicious flavours. So much so, that when we returned to American the first thing we did is visit a Mexican Restaurant!
Once we returned to Australia I set about trying to recreate all the flavors I loved so much. I discovered that although my son hated avocado, after 10 days in Mexico he would happily eat his body weight in guacamole.
The kids also loved burritos! The delicious soft flour tortilla filled with a delicious smokey, meat filling and packed with Mexican rice were our lunchtime staple. Whilst I would always chose Pork Carnitas, the kids preferred the Mexican chicken.
Once we returned home I set about mimicking the flavours from Mexico in my owned Mexican pulled dish. This recipe makes enough Mexican chicken for a number of meals. It such a help having leftovers in the fridge when your busy. Knowing that I don’t need to start a meal from scratch is a real load off my mind. The Mexican chicken can be served with rice, used as a filling for wraps or tacos or as a topping for Nachos.
My kids love it when I top their nachos with the pulled chicken, although I think they just like an excuse to eat corn chips covered in cheese and sour cream. My favourite way to eat this dish is with homemade tortillas as a taco filling. I usually make my own guacamole and some Tomatillo sauce and enjoy a light, healthy, tasty Mexican dish.
The rich smokey flavour in this recipe comes from smoked sweet paprika. Even as the Mexican pulled chicken cooks the smokey flavour travels through the house.
Smokey Pulled Mexican ChickenPrint Recipe
- 500-600 in gm chicken thigh fillet cut each fillet 1/2
- 3 cloves garlic
- 300 in gm brown onion cut 1/2
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 50 gm tomato paste
- 400 gm canned tomato puree
- 1 Tbs sweet paprika
- 1 Tbs smokey paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp hot paprika or chilli
- 1 pkt taco seasoning
- 250 gm can corn kernels drained
- 440 gm red kidney beans drained
- Place garlic and onion in the TM bowl, chop 3sec/speed7.
- Scrap down the sides.
- Add oil to the bowl and sauté. 3min/120 degrees/speed 1.
- Add the chicken and cook 5min/120 degrees/reverse speed 1.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, all the spices and salt. Cook 60min/100degree/reverse speed 1.
- Add the corn, taco seasoning and kidney beans. Cook 5min/90 degrees/reverse speed1
- Dice the garlic and onion.
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except the beans and corn.
- Put the slow cooker on high for 3 -4 hours.
- After 3 hours check to see if the chicken can be pulled apart with two forks.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken and then add the corn, taco seasoning and beans.
- Cook for another 10 minutes and then serve.
As I said previously, all the ingredients can be just dumped in the slow cooker or you can use a Thermomix.
I have included this recipe on the website especially for my gorgeous Thermomix consultant in Coffs Harbour Gemma. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as I do.